Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boy With Grapes

I know I'm not in the habbit of posting about classical paintings, but this one really affected me upon my last trip to the local art museum.  The painting is by Reynolds and is called "Boy Holding A Bunch of Grapes". Not the most inspiring title, I know, but that's not really the point. The painting was featured in a room full of portraits. Mostly of Kings and Queens and noble children. Then there was this painting. According to the description this was just some urchin boy he pulled off the street, most likely an orphan.

Now I'm not sure what the artist was trying to say with this painting, and I'm sure it's not what I took out of it but for some reason what hit me most about this painting was one simple truth. This boy is dead. Long dead, over 300 years dead. I couldn't tell you why only this painting said that to me in a museum full of dead people. Maybe it's the ghostly way his hand is painted, or the empty stare. Honestly it was kind of freaking me out the way he stares straight at you, as if he's staring at you through time.

Everyone in that room was dead, but they were supposed to be remembered, they wanted to be remembered. The sons and daughters of noble families who wanted their legacy immortalized, in proud regal poses. This was just some confused orphan boy, who will forever be remembered as "holding grapes"

Honestly I lost track of the point I was trying to make but I'm pretty sure it's something to the tune of we're all going to die, the end.

No comments: